Global support is pouring in for Kate, Princess of Wales, after the shock revelation she has cancer

LONDON (AP) — Support poured in from around the world Saturday for Kate, Princess of WalesThis came after she revealed in a candid video message that she was undergoing chemotherapy cancer Next main Abdominal surgery.

The princess's touching video, in which she spoke of the “huge shock” and “incredibly difficult two months” for her family following her diagnosis, came weeks after… Frantic speculation on social media about her health and well-being.

“This has of course been a huge shock, and William and I are doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our little family,” Kate said in the video, which was recorded on Wednesday in Windsor.

She added: “It took us some time to explain everything to George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that was appropriate for them, and to reassure them that I would be okay,” referring to her three young children.

Kate (42 years old) did not mention the type of cancer that was discovered after the surgery. She is now in the early stages of preventive chemotherapy, and is “getting stronger every day,” she said.

She added that her condition was initially thought to be non-cancerous, until post-operative tests revealed the diagnosis.

The announcement will at least partially curb the intense and sometimes fanciful speculation and conspiracy theories about Kate's condition that have multiplied on social media since Kensington Palace announced in mid-January that she had been hospitalized for unspecified abdominal surgery.

Hashtags, including “WeLoveYouCatherine” and “GetWellSoonCatherine,” were trending Friday on X, formerly Twitter, as political leaders, celebrities and cancer survivors sent messages of support.

See also  Here's what we know about the 40-mile Russian convoy outside the Ukrainian capital

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said: “She has come under intense scrutiny and been treated unfairly by certain sections of the media around the world and on social media.” “She showed tremendous courage in her statement.”

US President Joe Biden posted on social media saying that he and First Lady Jill Biden “join millions around the world in praying for your full recovery, Princess Kate.”

King Charles IIIHe, who is also undergoing treatment for an unspecified type of cancer, said in a statement that he was “so proud of Katherine for having the courage to speak out as she did.” Since moving to California in 2020, they said they wish “health and recovery to Kate and the family.”

Until Friday, there was little information about Kate's condition, and her months-long disappearance from public view raised a wave of questions. Rumor mongering About the “missing” future queen.

Officials said only that Kate's surgery in January was successful, and that her recovery would keep the princess away from her public duties until April.

Feelings of mistrust towards the royals gained further strength earlier this month after Kate She admitted that she had changed An official photo issued on the occasion of Mother's Day in the United Kingdom

The photo, which was intended to calm and reassure the public, sparked a backlash after the Associated Press and other news agencies pulled the photo over fears it had been doctored.

Even a video published by The Sun and TMZ last week that showed Kate and William shopping near their home did not dispel the negative coverage, with some investigators refusing to believe the video showed Kate at all.

See also  a US warship sailing through the sensitive Taiwan Strait; angered China

In contrast, many of the front pages of Saturday's newspapers contained sympathetic headlines, with The Sun declaring: “Kate, you are not alone.” The Daily Telegraph published an opinion piece that read: “Online trolls who celebrate the princess’s misery should be ashamed.” The news also appeared prominently in international newspapers from Italy to France.

“I understand why she kept it a secret, but I'm glad everyone knows now so they can't make assumptions,” said Madeleine Pulitzer, an American student in Paris.

Well-wishers left flowers on Saturday outside Windsor Castle, and many royal fans who visited Windsor and Kensington Palace said they were touched by Kate's personal message about her health struggles.

“Your heart breaks for her and her family, you know? I think we all feel it,” said Natalie Richardson, who was visiting from New Zealand. “It's a big thing for anyone to have to face.”

Like Charles before her, Kate's decision to reveal her health condition was also praised as it encourages the public to think more about their health and check out worrying symptoms.

Kate directly addressed all those affected by cancer in her video, saying: “Please do not lose faith or hope.”

Pat Price, an oncologist and cancer awareness campaigner, said: “This ad is a stark and shocking reminder that cancer has no respect for age or social status.” So much in the prime of her life makes this news even more upsetting and troubling.

It was not immediately clear when Kate would return to public life.

Kate and William were not expected to join other royals for the traditional Easter service at Windsor.

See also  Tens of thousands demonstrate in Prague against the Czech government, the European Union and NATO

A Kensington Palace spokesman said: “The Princess will return to her official duties when her medical team allows her to do so. She is in good spirits and focused on making a full recovery.”

___

Associated Press video journalists Oleg Cetinek in Paris and Mayoko Ono in Windsor, England, contributed to this report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *