Cover Image: Zhenya Savilov / AFP
- Southern Ukraine was targeted by “drone attacks” early Tuesday, Odesa Oblast Governor Ole Kiper said in a telegram. These attacks were mainly concentrated in the south, in the Odesa region. The Ukrainian military said it destroyed the majority of the drones and six Kalibr missiles while the debris caused damage to “port infrastructure” in Odessa. Meanwhile, Russia said it shot down 28 Ukrainian drones over Crimea.
- Road traffic on the Crimean bridge resumed the day after it was blown up. According to Russian authorities, vehicular traffic has been restored on the bridge connecting the Ukrainian province with Russia. Ukrainian intelligence claimed responsibility for the attack, which killed two civilians and caused extensive damage.
- The agreement on the export of Ukrainian grain, important for world food, was concluded on the evening of Monday, July 17. Hours after the Ukrainian attack, a strategic bridge connecting Russia to the Crimean peninsula, which Russia annexed in 2014, was partially destroyed for the second time.
- Moscow had previously signaled its refusal to extend the deal. In July 2022, the United Nations and Turkey signed an agreement with Ukraine, condemning sanctions on trade in Russian agricultural products.
- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres responded to the Russian decision, stressing that “hundreds of millions of people face starvation”. and that they were going “Pay the Price”. The head of US diplomacy, Anthony Blinken, described the Russian decision as “unacceptable” and promised that it would lead to higher food prices.
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has expressed his desire to continue exporting his grain through the Black Sea.With or without Moscow’s agreement on the safety of ships. “Even without Russia, everything must be done to use this corridor [pour les exportations] In the Black Sea. We are not afraid”Mr. Zelensky said.
Find us live from July 17th by clicking this link.
Read our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
facts. Another explosion at the Crimean bridge undermines the Kremlin’s discourse of “normalcy”.
Explanations. Ukrainian grains: what consequences will the suspension of the contract have on exports?
facts. Limited rise in wheat prices after Russia terminates grain deal
Grandstand. Fabian Roussel: “We must do everything diplomatically and politically to end the war in Ukraine quickly”
Chronic. Dying in Ukraine in the name of internationalism
Analysis. In Vilnius, a summit of promises and ambiguities between Volodymyr Zelensky and his NATO allies
Reporting. In Poland, the French revealed for the first time the training they provide to Ukrainian soldiers
“Web specialist. Infuriatingly humble coffee ninja. Wannabe zombie advocate. Subtly charming tv fanatic. Avid social media scholar.”