Malaysia has indicated it may revive the search for missing aircraft MH370, after a decade

A Texas-based company could revive its search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 (MH370), as the 10th anniversary of its mysterious disappearance approaches this week, Malaysia's Ministry of Transport said on Sunday.

Transport Minister Anthony Locke said on Sunday that Ocean Infinity had proposed another “no-find-no-fee” search at the seafloor in the southern Indian Ocean, five years after the company ended its own search for the plane’s remains.

The Boeing 777 disappeared from the radar shortly after taking off from the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur, on March 8, 2014. The plane, which was carrying 239 people, was supposed to travel to Beijing. Satellite data indicated that the plane deviated from its flight path, and it is believed that it crashed in the southern Indian Ocean.

If credible evidence is provided to the Malaysian government, Loke said he would do “everything possible” to get Cabinet approval for a new contract with Ocean Infinity. He said he had invited the company to meet when it was “ready to come” to Malaysia.

“The government is firm in its determination to locate aircraft MH370,” Luke told reporters during a ceremony to mark the 10th anniversary of the plane’s disappearance. “I hope the families and friends of the victims remain strong. You have our deepest condolences, and you will always remain in our thoughts and prayers.”

The Associated Press reported that the Malaysian and Chinese governments ended the official search for the plane's remains in 2017, after failing to find any leads, although some of the debris washed ashore on the coast of East Africa and the islands of the Indian Ocean. Special research conducted by Ocean Infinity in the Indian Ocean also did not show any results.

See also  The latest news of Russia's war on Ukraine: millions without heat and power

Locke did not disclose how much Ocean Infinity would pay if the proposed search yields results, although their 2018 agreement included a $70 million fee if remains were found.

The Hill has reached out to Ocean Infinity for further comment.

KS Nathan, a member of the Voice MH370 group of next of kin, told AP Ocean Infinity had originally planned to conduct a new search last year, but it was postponed due to the delivery of its new fleet of ships and assets. The Texas-based company is now in a position to revive the research, he said.

Copyright 2024 Nexstar Media Inc. all rights are save. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *