At least one person died after fresh demonstrations against military rule in Conakry; ECOWAS conducts mediation

Suspension of demonstrations pending mediation. In Guinea, a group behind two days of violent protests this week in Conakry announced a one-week suspension of protests following mediation by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), according to a press release sent on Saturday, July 30. Agence France-Presse (AFP).

The National Front for the Defense of the Constitution (FNDC), a coalition of parties, trade unions and civil society organizations, has also announced. “Arrested at his house” Its co-ordinators, Omar Silla, Fonike Mengwe, “by the police” Overnight from Friday to Saturday. There was Fonike Mengue “Leaded to the Unknown”FNDC lawyer Abdoulaye Keita told AFP on Saturday.

“A Chance in Mediation”

FNDC says it was Friday “An Interview with Current President of ECOWAS, President of Bissau-Guinea Umaru Sisoko Mbalo”, on the situation in Guinea, in its press release. Collaboration “Express Request Accepted” Mr. By embalo “Demonstrations should be suspended for a week”. “The sole purpose of this agreement is to provide an opportunity for ECOWAS mediation to find a positive outcome to the crisis in Guinea”The statement further said.

One person died in the protests in Conakry on Thursday, July 28, which has not been confirmed by the authorities. According to the FNDC, the accused killed one person on Friday. Also, there were four journalists “Attacked by protesters” Friday, the Guinea Press Professionals Union said “Condemns with the last energy” These actions “backwards”.

read more: Guinea: Protests against military rule paralyze Conakry

These violent demonstrations were condemned following a call by the FNDC “Unilateral Change Management” By military rule. The National Alliance for Alternative and Democracy, another coalition of parties, movements and associations, and the former ruling party, the People’s Rally of Guinea, joined the FNDC’s call for demonstrations in Conakry on Thursday.

See also  More than 87,000 people died in Russia in November, a record

Clashes in Conakry and its suburbs

Clashes broke out between police and youths in Conakry on Friday morning, according to an AFP journalist and witnesses.

Youths burnt tires and overturned garbage cans on the road and pelted stones at police vehicles, who retaliated by firing tear gas shells, according to the same sources. On September 5, Colonel Mamadi Toumbouya, who ousted President Alba Conde, who had been in power for more than ten years (2010-2021), pledged to hand over power to elected citizens within three years.

read more: In Guinea, a large coalition of parties has called for the ban on demonstrations to be lifted

The ruling body announced the ban on May 13 “Until Election Campaign Period” Any demonstration on a public highway “Likely to compromise social peace and proper execution of functions” In the three years before the return of civilians to the leadership of the country. The FNDC had already called for demonstrations on June 23 in defiance of the ban imposed by the military junta. However, he suspended his call the day before the demonstration “Give it a Chance” For dialogue proposed by the interim government.

But after the last meeting with the government, the FNDC condemned “Dating is a farce”as well as “Isolation and Authoritarian Behavior of Change” And “Serious Violations of Fundamental Rights and Freedoms”. During a press conference with French President Emmanuel Macron in Bissau on Thursday, Oumarro Sissoko Mbalo, the current head of the Economic Community of West African States, promised to have convinced the military junta to speed up the return to democracy.

See also  RN Georgia Meloni - Radically changes the tone with Liberation
read more: In Guinea, FNDC leaders were tried for “contempt of court and public contempt”.

“I was in Conakry (…) The decision of the Summit of Heads of State that the transition should not take more than twenty-four months should be conveyed to the military junta. They offered thirty-six months, but we managed to convince them., he said. In contrast, Ousmane Gaoual Diallo, a minister and spokesman for Guinea’s interim government, told AFP. “Neither the government nor the president has confirmed this information on the duration of the transition in Guinea.”.

The world with AFP

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *