Japan vs USMNT
September 23, 2022
Düsseldorf Square, Düsseldorf, Germany
Pre-match coverage: 8AM ET on ESPN2 and ESPN+; 8:20 a.m. ET on UniMás, TUDN
Kick-off: 8:26 am ET on ESPN2, ESPN+, UniMás and TUDN
Social media: USMNT on Twitter And the Instagram; Football Facebook American football app
USMNT starts today XI vs. Japan: 1- Matt Turner, 2-Sergiño Dest, 3-Walker Zimmerman (capt.), 4-Tyler Adams, 5-Aaron Long, 6-Sam Vines, 8-Weston McKennie, 9-Jesús Ferreira, 11-Brenden Aaronson, 14 Luca de la Torre, 21-Gio Reina
Subs: 18-Ethan Horvath, 25-Shawn Johnson, 7-Paul Areola, 12-Eric Palmer-Brown, 13-Jordan Morris, 15-Jonny Cardoso, 16-Mark McKenzie, 17-Malik Tillman, 19-Ricardo Pepe, 20 -Reggie Cannon, 22-Deandre Yadlin, 23-Clean Acosta, 24-Josh Sargent, 26-Joe Scully
- USMNT starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Weston McKennie (36), Walker Zimmerman (32), Tyler Adams (31), Aaron Long (28), Brenden Aaronson (23), Matt Turner (19), Sergiño Dest (18), Jesus Ferreira (14), Gio Reina (13), Luca de la Torre (12), Sam Vines (9)
- The mean age of onset on the eleventh day is 24 years 143 days and the average maximum number is 20.
- Striker Gio Reina makes his first international appearance in over a year, and the last time he drew 0-0 in El Salvador to open the 2022 World Cup qualifiers on September 2, 2021. Reina wears the number 21 shirt today, the same number his father Claudio wore a total of 42 times With USMNT, including the 1998 FIFA World Cup.
- Defender Sam Vines is making his USMNT debut since the CONCACAF Gold Cup Final against Mexico on August 1, 2021, and earning his first start since the semi-final against Qatar on July 29, 2021. Thanks to this appearance against this year’s World Cup hosts, Vines is the USMNT team player The only one who played against the opposition of the Asian Football Confederation.
- After missing the international windows in March and June, defender Serginio Dest made his first appearance since the January 30 World Cup qualifier match in Canada.
- Walker Zimmerman leads the team for the sixth time today.
- Tyler Adams, Luca de la Torre and Weston McKinney start together in midfield for the first time today.
- The front line of Brendan Aaronson, Jesus Ferreira and Gio Reina make their debut together today.
- Jesus Ferreira leads all USMNT players with five goals in eight matches during 2022.
- Aaron Long Walker Zimmerman shares central defense for the 10The tenth time. The USMNT is 7-1-1 when the veteran duo is together on the back line.
- Three junior players represented clubs here in Germany. Gio Reina has played for Borussia Dortmund since 2019, Weston McKinney moved to Schalke 04 from 2017-2020, and Tyler Adams represented RB Leipzig from 2019-2022.
- Should he enter tonight’s game, midfielder Klein Acosta will appear against the country of his father and grandmother’s birth.
- Christian Pulisic has been left out of the squad today due to a blow he suffered in training earlier this week. He will be evaluated day in and day out to see if he is ready to play against Saudi Arabia on September 27 in Murcia, Spain.
- USMNT will wear 25 players, while Japan will wear 26 players for today’s match. Six substitutions are allowed at three different moments. The first half does not count as a substitution moment.
- USMNT is 1-1-0 at all times against Japan. The samurai blue He won the first encounter, winning 3-1 on March 14, 1993 in Tokyo. The United States won the last meeting 3-2 on February 10, 2006 in San Francisco.
- USMNT is 36-9-9 in 54 games under Greg Berhalter.
- Today’s match marks the third friendly neutral location for the team under Berhalter. The United States beat Panama 6-2 on November 16, 2020, and 4-1 over Jamaica on March 25, 2021. The two matches were played in Wiener Neustadt, Austria.
- Felix Zuer of Germany is the referee for tonight’s match. This is the first time he has run a USMNT match.
“Student. Incurable problem solver. Amateur baconaholic. Introvert. Infuriatingly humble music fanatic.”